Thursday, January 3, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Heist Society


Heist Society (Heist Society #1) is a book released on the 1st September 2011 in the UK by Orchard. It was written by Ally Carter a New York Best Selling Author known for the Gallagher Girls series and it is the first of the Heist Society series. The ISBN number is 1408309556. I purchased this novel.


PLOT

When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie travelled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own - scamming her way into the best boarding school 
in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. 

But now her dad's life is on the line, and Kat must go back to the world she tried so hard to escape...

WHY I BOUGHT IT

I had previously read Gallagher Girls #1 but I have to say that it was not to my taste it seemed more like a kid’s book than a YA but when I saw that Heist Society was also written Ally Carter I thought it I would take a look especially given the plot premise it sounded like a winner to me.

WHAT I THOUGHT

Heist Society is a great book indeed I would think that if you’re a fan of the Gallagher Girls you would be more than happy with this first instalment of Heist Society. The story centres around Katrina Bishop and her initial efforts to strike out her own and leave the family business, which is thievery. Unfortunately her life away from her family doesn’t last long and she is soon drawn in to the biggest caper of her life.

The book is pretty large in scale and reminds me of shows like Leverage but on an even bigger scale. The characters jet all over the world and the feel couldn’t be more removed from reality it is a wonderful escape from all things mundane.

The characters are well defined and interesting Katrina seems strong and very hostile to the idea of coming back to the family but we see some real growth and we understand at least a little of the complex history which drove her away in the first place.

Hale reminds me of leading men from old radio plays like The Shadow, he is just so charismatic when you’d think a rich seemingly aimless playboy would be a lot less likeable. The rest of the cast are just as engaging but I will let you meet the rest of them for yourself.

Overall Heist Society is an exciting first book in the series about a group of likeable globe-trotting junior thieves, now how often is a book like that likely to come around? It is definitely worth checking out.

1 comment:

Where in the World is Karla said...

Lovely blog thanks for taking the time to share this.