Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sci-fi Saturday

OUTCASTS

So there is a new Sci-Fi offering from the UK coming to our screens. All about humans escaping to a new world after some sort of cataclysmic event on Earth. It even has one of the stars of Battlestar Galactica in it which I think might unfairly lead to comparisons being drawn. I have no expectations about this show and I am happy to give it a chance but the last UK Sci-Fi miniseries I watched “The Deep” was so incredibly boring and slow paced sometimes while watching it I thought I was moving backwards in time.

Still British Sci-Fi isn’t all bad Primeval for one is ok, Hex was fantasy but that come under the broad heading of Sci-fi and at the moment I can’t think of any others though after I press Publish I am sure my mind will start working again.


Collateral – Now I’ve been a Smallville watcher since the beginning back when we just used to call this Dawson’s Creek with powers and I have seen it go through some rough patches. However the return episode after the winter hiatus ‘Collateral’ is something to behold. It is one of the worst episodes of Smallville I have ever had the misfortune of watching not since ‘Noir’ have I wanted to stop an episode while it was being shown.

I know Smallville is on the way out but that is no excuse for this bad Matrix rip off attempt. This is the sort of stuff I expect to check out on YouTube from an up and coming independent film maker group although they were unlikely to get Allison Mack to do some awesome martial arts stuff.

Also we seem to be missing the rest of the members like Star Spangled Girl who we totally ignored. I despise lazy writing if you can’t explain what you did last episode maybe you shouldn’t have written that in the first place. Oh well I will put this episode’s awfulness up to the fact that it is a coming back from a hiatus and my expectations had risen during the break. I am sure the next episode will be a step in the right direction.

No comments: