Friday, June 18, 2010

BOOK REVIEW - Strange Angels by Lili St Crow

So my latest book I picked up as the result of browsing the books in WH Smiths. The blurb on the back sounded reasonable so I decided then to check it out later. I finally got my hands on it a couple of weeks ago. This is a peak time somewhat for book releases that peak my interest, the new House of Night came out like a month ago, the successor to the Percy Jackson series is supposedly coming out soon and I think Dark Flame the latest in the Immortals series is out next week. Enough about the future let us consider this book.




For some reason I thought this book might be self-contained but like a lot of the Young Adult Paranormal stuff it is the first in a series. The book centres on a young woman named Dru and her dad who fight the things that go bump in the night. Yes you may be thinking it now and you definitely will if you read it that this feels so much like Supernatural someone somewhere should be calling a lawyer. I kept on thinking Sam and Dean would put in a guest appearance to gank some monsters but strangely it never happened.



The story takes a while to warm up but once it gets there things get pretty interesting pretty fast, the only thing I tend to hold against it is the way Dru flashes back to her past, it happens too often for my liking and sometimes confuses things. The argument could be made that as the first in the series this needed to drop some serious back story down in preparation for the rest of the series but I wonder if that could have been handled differently.



While the Supernatural yes with a big S as in the TV show continues throughout the book a hint of possible romance and indeed a love triangle eventually emerges but just about does not detract from the story itself, which continues to move along nicely.



If you like Supernatural this would be worth your time.



Overall I give it a 4/5.

No comments: