Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kyle XY FTW


"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
(BEWARE YES I SAID BEWARE OF SPOILERS UP TO SEASON 3 IN THIS POST)

A whole post about Kyle XY some family show on ABC (Trouble and BBC2 have shown it in the UK) you must be thinking that when it comes to teens and relationships that Skins is more your thing but you might be surprised by the quality of the storytelling in Kyle XY and the well roundedness of the characters. I compare it with say Smallville and cringe; I think the comparison is apt both about super powered teens learning to deal with those powers and relationships. Kyle XY manages it with well rounded characters that seem real in an implausible, I like Smallville I really do but for the first 3 or 4 seasons the characters were so wooden and one dimensional it hurt the eyes to watch the dramatic stuff and don’t get me started on Lana gaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

The show didn’t get a huge media push didn’t have a big title behind it like Smallville or the Sarah Connor Chronicles, it simply had to swim or drown on its own with us the viewers knowing next to nothing about it beforehand. The first season was short if I remember 12 episodes in all and had equal parts of drama, comedy and action. The casting of Krajicek from X-Files worked well.

While Kyle XY is entertainment, it is from a family channel and is chucked full of those life lesson messages that were remembered so fondly when Power Rangers first premiered on our screens all those years ago.
























The array of eye candy on show also helps now obviously I don’t know what everyone’s tastes are but I think the girls and boys of Kyle XY offer something for most of us. I find it hard to choose a favourite girl myself I am stuck between two for the top position. Andy Jansen (Magda Apanowicz) and Jesse (Jaime Alexander) very different I know but each with a unique wow factor for me at least. Magda doesn’t always look quite so young just check her out in her appearance on the short-lived Bionic Woman redux. Chelan Simmons is also worth a look but I used to hate her character, she is doing better now though finally a more rounded character.

All I can say is that I hope that the quality continues unlike some shows about people with unusual abilities.

No comments: